Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Underwhelming Slumdog


Since I liked director Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Later several years ago, and Slumdog Millionaire walked away with all those gold statuettes last week, it seemed like it was time to head to the theatre.

What a disappointment.

Slumdog wasn’t a bad movie, by any stretch. It certainly deserved to be released to theatres rather than going direct to DVD, as was nearly its fate, but it was ultimately underwhelming.

I was actually prepared to like it:
  • As I said above, I found 28 Days Later compelling.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed Bend It Like Beckham and My Beautiful Laundrette in their time—both of which had dealt with the results of British Colonialism in that region of the world in some serious ways while telling a slight personal story.
  • While I was never a fan of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, when the new Doctor Who series spoofed the game show, I laughed and was moved.
  • I enjoy movies that take me elsewhere.
The movies is certainly beautiful. Boyle and his cinematographer find angles that give even the poorest slum shacks exciting lines, vibrancy and color.

But the movie felt like it couldn’t decide what it wanted to be. Were we supposed to be shocked at the squalor and violence of the slums, or struck by their dizzying beauty? Are the kidnappers and gangsters that cross our heroes’ paths supposed to be truly ominous, or cartoon villains with no real threat? The tone shifts from scene to scene and sometimes within scenes.

I’ve gotten used to Oscar-winning films being underwhelming in recent years: The Academy wants something bright and shiny that seems “serious” but isn’t truly threatening. But something led me to expect more from Slumdog. I shouldn’t have.

Pop some popcorn and rent the DVD when it comes out. You’ll have a pleasant evening. But there’s nothing really memorable or deep or honest about it. It’s a Hollywood romance set in India, with a Bollywood dance number tacked onto the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment